Saturday, August 16, 2008

Myth

I had a myth that started to break down, even when I splashed water on it and let it take naps in the afternoon. Nothing worked--the myth that had served me for so long was dying. So I walked along the highway to Target to find a new myth to suit my tastes. It took me awhile to get there because there wasn't a sidewalk and the brush was very high. Drivers honked their car horns to cheer me on and made hand gestures in support of my quest. I took heart. Once at Target, I asked a salesperson where the myths were; she said Aisle 8, near small appliances. What a variety of affordable myths Target had! I spent an hour examining each one. Finally, the saleperson told me it was time to go, that the store was closing and I'd have to make a decision. It was a tough call, and I'd come so far, but a rumble in my stomach told me that, more than a new myth, I needed the toaster oven on sale for $19.99. I walked through the electric sliding doors and into the black night, content with my decision. I didn't care that I couldn't see three feet in front of me: in the morning I would eat a hot and wholesome meal, prepared in my brand new appliance. Tecnhology gives my life meaning.

No comments: